GRIEVANCE & APPEAL PROCESS
Grievance & Appeal Process
In the event of the student not being satisfied with the result of the review of the complaint, he/she may ask for a conference to discuss the appeal or grievance with the Grievance and Disciplinary Council. The Grievance and Disciplinary Council may create a review committee. This request shall be in writing to the social worker or to the head of grievance committee. Be consistent- Use one name Please:
- Give students full opportunity to raise matters of proper concern without fear of disadvantage and in the knowledge that privacy and confidentiality will be respected.
- Ensure that procedures are fair and decisions are appropriate.
- Ensure that student appeals are dealt with in a timely manner, using simple and transparent procedures.
- Ensure that where a complaint or appeal is upheld, appropriate remedial action is implemented.
Student ResponsibilitiesThe student should discuss his/her concern:
- If a conversation with the appropriate college instructor, department, or office representative does not lead to a resolution, the student should then discuss the problem with the head of the concerned department.
- If a meeting with the head of the department does not lead to a resolution, the student should discuss his/her concern(s) with the social worker. (In case of academic issues) or the head of the department may refer the student to the social worker.
- If the social worker is unable to assist in informally resolving the students concern(s), the student will be referred to the formal appeal procedure.
PrinciplesThe principles to follow in all cases:
- Ensure the time and place are appropriate when we reassure the student that we understand they need to discuss something very important and that it in warrants time ( by sending SMS or calling them on his/her mobile phone ) space and privacy.
- Serious concerns must be reported by psychosocial counselor by calling an urgent committee discuss any intervention necessary to protect the student.
- We won’t put students in the position of having to repeat distressing matters to several people.
- Encourage the student, whenever possible to confide in his/her own counselor.
- We As a Counseling Service, we are required to keep a record of each of students’ interactions with anyone in our service, but the specific and sensitive information should be written in the student file by coding, such records will be stored in a secure manner.
Release InformationThe Confidentiality will be broken only under certain conditions (privacy reveal form attached):
- When the student is a threat to others or self.In these cases, we should inform the student from the beginning and before any confidential information is shared, with the reasons for the necessity to reveal confidential.
- If the case needs referring to a psychiatrist.
- The counseling records is required by a court of law.
- If we believe that it would be helpful to share information about the student with someone outside of Counseling Unit, such as the parents. In these situations, the counselor discusses the benefits and risks of releasing this information and asks to decide which information should and shouldn’t be released.
- If the information can help the students in the academic failure justification.
Student Support Services