PSYCHOSOCIAL COUNSELING - STUDENT COUNSELING
- Psychosocial Counseling unit is a planned and organized process which helps and enhances the student to understand his own self and personality, nevertheless, is granted the opportunity to discover his own abilities, develop skills and solve problems.
- Consequently, the student acquires psychological, social, educational and vocational compatibility which helps achieve his objectives.
- The psychosocial counseling unit seeks to provide the students with services suitable to their needs according to the comprehensive quality standards, creating an intellectual and behavioral difference in accordance with the challenges of our current time.
- It focuses on planning strategies and programs which support the students, develop their abilities and skills to overcome difficulties and attain success both in practical and scientific field.
The psychosocial counseling unit depends on various procedures which include:
- Comprehensive survey of students who suffer from academic, psychological and social problems in collaboration with faculty and administrative staff. The unit should communicate periodically with the staff to monitor problems and propose solutions.
- List names of failing students who suffer from social and psychological problems which are reflected on their studies.
- Observation which is divided into two sections.
- a. A simple field observation to monitor the incident spontaneously, communicate with students and answer their queries.
- b. Scientific observation to monitor the incident using instruments and tools.
- Scheduling individual sessions which do not contradict with lectures.
- Organize series of activities, workshops and awareness’ campaigns which caters the students ‘problems.
- Preparing awareness newsletters and booklets.
- Individual session starts with verbal communication between the advisor or instructor and the student through asking questions. The advisor or instructor has to observe the student’s general appearance and emotional change as they differ from one student to another. Several equipment are used depending on the nature of the problem.
- Assessment tools such as projects, written assignments, and quizzes, etc.
- Data collection and communication between both faculty and administrators to see student’s improvement.
- Takes place to follow up the progress of the student.
- Preparing plans and strategies in accordance to the problem at hand.
- Data analysis, displaying results as well as documenting the final report.
- Enhance the student’s abilities which would lead to her success.
- Giving an official three days’ vacation for passed away relatives (father, mother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle or aunt) after the student bring a copy for certification of death.
- Giving an official one week vacation to the student for her/his marriage occasion.
Top Basic Counseling Skills:
- Unconditional positive regard.
- Open Questions.
- Counselor Self-Disclosure.
Student Departmental Center